[Eye of the Tiger starts with a *click* from your cassette player, daggy dance moves begin]
Risin’ up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance now I’m back on my skates
Just a grrl and her will to survive
So many times it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive
It’s the eye of the tiger, it’s the thrill of the fight
Risin’ up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks her prey in the night
And she’s watchin’ us all with the eye of the tiger
[Boogie off into the distance]
You roll fast, play hard. Don’t compromise, and don’t hide the indie goddess who rests in the lotus of your heart. Your sport, Roller Derby, reflects your hunger for change – to grow in personal strength, in social solidarity, and to create a space where you will flourish and thrive. Punk rock attitudes, DIY culture and creative self-expression are hallmarks of your sport, but they don’t go all the way… let’s face it, your skate boots are kinda dull in comparison with the rest of your gear.
Roller riot grrls are hot, but their skate boots are not. Where are the hot pink boots, the skulls’n’crossbones? Nowhere.
Stretching deeper than that, there’s the fundamental distance between you and your skate boots – shipped in from overseas, made to fit standard-sized feet, and wearing weird-assed bruises and blisters into your tired tootsies. For *your* boots, you’ve had remarkably little input into their story so far.
You are worth more than the current Roller Derby boot situation allows. You are home-grown talent, one-of-a-kind. Passionate, smart as a the flick of a whip, and downright gorgeous. You are the apple, mango, and orchard of my eye.
There’s an important aspect of life that we all often forget – that we have the power, the technology, and the will to make the world fit our needs. Together, you and I, we can make better skate boots.
To bridge this gap between what-you-have and what-you-really-want, the Leviathan was born (no, not from fires of creation, but from RMIT Brunswick Bespoke Shoe-making studies). Simply, they are awesome skate boots for beautiful women doing amazing things with their lives.
Leviathan are custom made –
- Do you have hard-to-fit feet? Fear not, lass, I’ll build the boot to your measurements;
- Do you really want to have boots with tiger stripes and leopard spots? Or pink and green? I can make this happen;
- Should your totem animal, the Drop Bear, be represented on your boots for good luck? Consider it done.
Leviathan are designed and built as a specialty fit skate boot –
- A snug waist hugs the arch of your foot;
- Snubbed toes so that your foot cannot slide forward at a sudden stop;
- A low heel for speed;
- Leather toepuffs and counters (the innards that hold a boot’s shape) are firm but forgiving, and they don’t have hard edges to hurt your feet;
- Double eyelets so that you can lace the boot as you need to;
- Two speed straps pull the boots onto your foot like bondage gear;
- A toecap provides additional protection for the forward area of the boots;
- A lacing guard stops the tongue from sliding to the side;
- No nails in the sole hinder plating, and the sole is hand-stitched to the boot upper for extra durability;
- Industrial stitching holds everything exactly where it needs to be.
Leviathan are crafted from only the best of materials –
- Locally sourced kangaroo leathers – kangaroo leather is not only environmentally sustainable, ‘weight for weight’ it is the strongest and lightest leather in the world;
- The full leather sole (bovine) will hold the shape to your foot over time ,but remain strong and firm for plating/ re-plating;
- Bamboo-coated antibacterial padding on the inner sole and the tongue help stop ‘funky foot’. The inner sole can also be easily removed so you can dry it out after training and bouts.
Leviathan are hand made. From scratch. They are built over a period of weeks using time-honoured traditions, with heart and soul. They are made to be worn, cared for, and repaired. They are made with love, sweat, and sometimes a little blood… Leviathan are my way of being excellent to you.
Bill and Ted are my heroes – be excellent to each other, and party on dudes.
Are you ready to be excellent?
Hellz yeah! – then read on, gentle traveler.
I’d love to, but I’m not ready for Leviathan yet – no worries! Like the Facebook page and follow the blog to keep an eye out for new designs/ leathers, or just to drop in and say hi. I’m ready when you are.
Aw shucks, I already am! – awesome, betch! You can’t do better than that. Tell me what you love about your skate boots/ sport over at the Facebook page/ blog – I’m always interested in ideas for building better boots.
The ordering process is easy – either download the ordering form and have a friend help you measure your feet, or, arrange to visit my workshop in Ipswich and work through the design process with me. Choose your colours, write up your details, and email/ snail-mail the form back to Damned Soles.
A deposit of 50% (non-refundable) is required when you place your order. This can be paid through direct debit or Paypal. All payments must be finalized before your order is shipped/ collected.
Delivery timeframe for Leviathan is 4 weeks. There are no rush jobs. Each pair of boots is lovingly crafted by hand to meet your personal requirements – that sort of shit takes time.
Leviathan retail at $695.
For an additional $50/ pair, you can choose from top-range flashing leathers – black-on-black leopard-print kangaroo, blue-black African springbok, and toxic green kangaroo (so bright that my eyes bleed).
Unique design features start at $50/ pair. These design features are up to you – draw them up yourself, or work with me on a kick-arse addition to your roller boots. Anarchy symbols?
A few leathers from the current Damned Soles range are limited in supply – they are either unique finish runs from leather merchants or reclaimed leather offcuts (waste not, want not). Place your boot order early to ensure you snap up the colours you want (hint: if you’d like a TARDIS colour theme, or She-Ra inspired boots, it can be arranged = getting your geek on, baby).
In honour of the Leviathan’s release, all boots ordered before Australia Day will be offered at half price.
Delivery on these orders will be end of February – plenty of time to have them plated and worn in before the 2013 season starts.
Will [Leviathan] keep begging you for mercy? Will [she soothe] you with gentle words?
Will [she] make an agreement with you for you to take [her] as your slave for life?